Buidling Dreams Together


Stags’ Unbeaten Start To The League Two Season Continues With A 1-1 Draw Against Gillingham

In a battle between two promotion-hunting sides, Mansfield Town and Gillingham shared the points as they drew 1-1 at the Priestfield Stadium with Gills fans unhappy with Stags’ equaliser from a quick free-kick.

The Gills took the lead almost instantly as Lewis Brunt’s marauding burst forward was intercepted by Connor Mahoney.

The midfielder drove forward and crossed the ball to Macauley Bonne who volleyed his effort past Christy Pym.

10 minutes before the break, the Stags levelled the game up in controversial fashion.

As Ollie Clarke broke forward, he was bundled down by Ethan Coleman. Referee Jacob Miles pulled the yellow card out, however, a quick free-kick from Clarke found Davis Keillor-Dunn who found the back of the net for his eighth League Two goal of the season.

The Gills fans and players voiced their disapproval on the goal being allowed but the goal stood and the game went on as the two sides could not be separated at the full-time whistle.

Mansfield Town boss Nigel Clough made five changes from the side that beat Peterborough United in the Third Round of the Carabao Cup as Jordan Bowery, Calum Macdonald, Ollie Clarke, Davis Keillor-Dunn and Lucas Akins replaced George Williams, Baily Cargill, Hiram Boateng, James Gale and Will Swan.

Gillingham manager Neil Harris named two changes from the side that lost 2-1 to Doncaster Rovers last time out as Jonny Williams and Dom Jefferies replaced Max Ehmer and Tom Nichols in the starting XI.

Within the first two minutes of the game, the Gills found the back of the net through Bonne. A mistake from Brunt saw Mahoney capitalised as he found Bonne who slotted the ball into the back of the net.

The hosts continued to assert their dominance as Shaun Williams looked to fire a shot at goal but a vital block from Aden Flint made sure it would not hit the target.

Jeffries’ cross found Bonne who fired an effort on the turn but Pym made a key save to deny the forward.

George Maris was at the forefront of the attacking movements for the Stags as he picked out Macdonald but he had both of his efforts blocked.

Stags’ number 10 once again provided a dangerous pass this time for Akins but his header was wide of the target.

On the half-hour mark, Mahoney’s free-kick was half-cleared and fell to the feet of Conor Masterson, however, the defender’s effort from close range went over.

Mansfield struck level minutes later as a quick free-kick from Clarke found Keillor-Dunn who slotted the ball home despite some controversy in regards to the free-kick being taken quickly.

The Stags flew out of the traps in the second-half as Clarke found Maris who failed to set himself and fired his effort over on the stretch.

Keillor-Dunn looked to turn provider after his equaliser as he found Akins but his effort was blocked.

Jake Turner made two smart saves to deny Keillor-Dunn as the forward looked to fire the Stags ahead.

Maris played in Keillor-Dunn and he tried to side-step the Gills’ shot-stopper but the goalkeeper was brave and claimed the ball.

The Stags continued to up the pressure as Keillor-Dunn found Lewis who guided his header wide of the left post.

The final chance of the game fell for the Gills as substitute Ashley Nadasan as the forward met the ball from a corner but failed to guide his effort on target.

The draw saw both sides fall out of the top three as the Gills dropped to fourth and the Stags down to fifth.

Both sides are back in action in midweek as Mansfield Town host Wrexham and Gillingham travel to Crewe Alexandra.

Gillingham’s XI: Turner, Alexander, Masterson, S. Williams, J. Williams (J. Clarke 63′), Jefferies (Lapslie 63′), Malone, Coleman, Ogie, Mahoney (Nadesan 82′), Bonne

Mansfield Town’s XI: Pym, Bowery, Flint, Brunt, Macdonald (Cargill 46′), Reed, Lewis, O. Clarke (Swan 80′), Maris, Keillor-Dunn (Gale 90+4′), Akins

To stay up to date with all things football and sports, follow @DubSports and @AdrianKitaMedia on Twitter/X.

Written by