Buidling Dreams Together


Keillor-Dunn Into Double Figures As The Stags Extend Their Unbeaten League Run

Mansfield Town’s Davis Keillor-Dunn was at the double as the amber and blues earned another valuable three points with a 2-0 win over Newport County at the One Call Stadium.

Stags’ number 40 opened the scoring within the first five minutes of the game as Rhys Oates’ pass into the middle was half-cleared by Scot Bennett. The ball fell to the feet of Keillor-Dunn who squeezed it past Nick Townsend for his 10th goal of the season.

Early in the second half, the forward scored his second of the afternoon as a through ball from George Maris found him inside the box and he simply side-footed the ball into the bottom corner.

The victory was Mansfield Town’s fifth successive league win and propelled them up to second after Wrexham were beaten 2-0 by Accrington Stanley.

Mansfield Town manager Nigel Clough made one change from the side that beat Salford City 2-1 last weekend.

Calum Macdonald was shown his fifth yellow card of the season in the win against the Ammies which saw him suspended for the game with Baily Cargill taking his place in defence. Lucas Akins and Stephen Quinn made a return to the bench as they recovered from their respective injuries.

Newport County manager Graham Coughlin also made one change to his side that drew 1-1 with MK Dons in the league last weekend. Matthew Baker was in international action in midweek so he was rested with James Waite stepping into the starting XI.

The Exiles threatened from the off as good play between Will Evans and Omar Bogle saw the latter fire a shot over the bar.

However, it didn’t take long for the Stags to break the deadlock as Oates’ pass was half-cleared into the path of Keillor-Dunn who tucked the ball past Townsend and into the back of the net.

The visitors looked to respond immediately as Nathan Wood crossed the ball for Lewis Payne but his half-volley failed the hit the target.

Louis Reed gave the ball away sloppily as Evans seized on the chance and fired a shot which was well-blocked by the covering Aden Flint.

Keillor-Dunn looked on form as he brilliantly controlled a pass from Lewis Brunt before chopping inside and firing a shot on target which Townsend gathered at the second attempt.

Another sweeping move for the Stags sees Cargill find Reed with the midfielder’s effort blocked by Ryan Delaney.

On the half-hour mark, the Stags were awarded a penalty as Oates was brought down in the box. The forward took the subsequent spot kick but had his shot saved by Townsend.

Both Maris and Keillor-Dunn had shots in the final few minutes of the first half for the Stags, however, they failed to hit the target with their efforts.

The final action of the half saw Callum Johnson beat his mark and float a cross which turned into a shot as the ball hit the top of the crossbar and went out of play.

Newport had a very quick start in the second half as Evans fired a shot goalwards which was saved by Christy Pym.

However, similar to the first half, the Stags responded and doubled their lead as Maris found Keillor-Dunn who side-footed the ball home for this second of the afternoon.

Mansfield Town’s number 40 could have grabbed a third moments later but he failed to hit the target with his effort.

The strike pairing of Bogle and Evans combined as the former set up the latter with his effort saved by Pym.

Newport continued their surge of trying to get back into the game as they had several chances but failed to hit the target and trouble Pym in the Stags goal.

A welcome return for Akins saw the forward have a chance moments after coming on but his shot on the turn was gathered by Townsend.

Stags’ number seven was once again involved as he nodded the ball down for Hiram Boateng who flashed a half-volley wide of the target.

Keillor-Dunn continued to search for his hat-trick as he fired another shot goalwards which was once again saved by Townsend.

Mansfield Town held onto their two-goal lead and claimed a valuable clean sheet and three points as they marched up to second place in League Two.

Newport County remain 20th after the defeat, however, they are now only five points above the drop zone.

Both sides are in action next weekend as the Stags travel to Swindon Town whilst the Exiles face league leaders Stockport County at Rodney Parade.

Nigel Clough’s side face midweek action in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy as they take on Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium in their final group game of the competition.

Mansfield Town’s XI: Pym, Johnson, Flint, Brunt, Cargill, Reed, Lewis (Quinn 80′), Maris (Boateng 80′), Keillor-Dunn (Swan 90′), Oates (Akins 75′), Bowery (Gale 89′)

Newport County’s XI: Townsend, Delaney, Bennett, McLoughlin, Bondswell (Clarke 55′), Wood (Palmer-Houlden 50′), Morris, Waite, Payne, Bogle, Evans

To stay up to date with all things football and sports, follow @DubSports and @AdrianKitaMedia on Twitter/X.

Written by