Buidling Dreams Together

Leahy Returns to Tame the Shrews

Ten man Shrewsbury fall to a 2-0 loss at home to Wycombe.



Shrewsbury Town v Wycombe Wanderers

Croud Meadow

Wycombe arrived to play Shrewsbury for their third match in seven days following the crushing defeat in the EFL Trophy and a point at home to Derby on Wednesday.

The Chairboys had made several changes from the team in midweek with a congested fixture list in the last month of the season whereas Shrewsbury made just one change from their previous outing.

With Wycombe’s upturn in form since the turn of the year and the Shrews fairly safe barring a huge upturn from the 3 teams below them, there wasn’t a huge amount resting on the game. The first half played out as such with being a drab affair heavily affected by the wind. The only sniff of goal came from a mix up between Wycombe glovesman Ravizzoli and defender Joe Low leaving Udoh a chance but his shot was blocked.

The 2nd half saw the Shrews come out with a little more impetus than the Chairboys with a few half chances that were kept out by the strong Wycombe backline. The game changed just before the 70-minute mark when Shrewsbury’s Tom Flanagan saw red for a dangerous late challenge on Wycombe’s Low.

Wycombe took full advantage and started to play on the front foot. The young Richard Kone full of energy won a free kick down Wycombe’s left-hand side in the 83rd minute. A clever routine from Sadlier and Potts saw Butcher dummy his shot leaving the returning Luke Leahy to slot in from just outside the box. Leahy being a former Shrews skipper chose not to celebrate. 1-0 to the Chairboys.

In the 90th minute Wycombe broke quickly with Gareth McCleary being fed down the right, his first-time low pass was straight into Kone’s path and the young striker couldn’t miss. 2-0 to the Chairboys and there was no chance of a comeback for the Shrews.

Chiefs Chatter: Chairboys Boss Matt Bloomfield said, “It was a fairly scrappy game on a slow pitch. It had been a long week for us but it was really fulfilling to get the win.”

Shrews Gaffer Paul Hurst said, “There was nothing to cheer about, I can see the fans’ frustration and anger, I could hear a little bit during the game but at the end… I cannot stand here and say I don’t agree with them. “

Share Post