Buidling Dreams Together


Captain Burrows seals late victory to sink Wycombe

Peterborough United claimed the Bristol Street Motors Trophy in dramatic fashion as Harrison Burrows took the lead twice in the final ten minutes to secure a 2-1 victory over a resilient Wycombe Wanderers side.

Despite numerous chances for both sides, the final looked to be going the distance until Harrison Burrows broke the deadlock with five minutes remaining. He then retook the lead in added time following an equaliser for Wycombe through Dale Taylor, making it four wins out of four for The Posh at Wembley.

Both teams were at full-strength for the game. Matt Bloomfield’s Wycombe side made six changes from the squad that drew at Blackpool on Monday, while Darren Ferguson made just one change to his Peterborough side as he looked to win the trophy ten years on from the last win.

The first chance of the game came for Peterborough as Ricky-Jade Jones’ effort sailed over the bar in the 12th minute to end a lengthy spell of possession for The Posh.

Moments later, Wycombe had two quick-fire chances as they intercepted the ball in midfield and caught Peterborough on the break. Matt Butcher fired his shot over the bar in the 18th minute before Garath McCleary hooked the ball over from six yards out.

McCleary came close again in the 28th minute, but his strong effort was well matched by Peterborough keeper Jed Steer.

The teams continued to exchange chances, with Ronnie Edwards guiding a header just past the post for Peterborough in the 35th minute before Richard Kone’s shot flew over the bar for Wycombe.

Peterborough had a strong wave of chances throughout the first ten minutes of the second half, but the Wycombe defence stood strong to deny several of their attacks.

Wycombe came close in the 67th minute as Kieran Sadlier’s shot brushed the crossbar following a mistaken pass from Steer.

Just as the game looked destined for extra time, Peterborough broke the deadlock through Harrison Burrows as he received the ball on the edge of the box and drilled it low into the net, despite a strong hand from Ravizzoli.

Wycombe fought back with an equaliser four minutes later, as Dale Taylor volleyed the ball into the bottom corner with one of his first touches of the ball.

However, Burrows retook the lead for Posh in added time as his cross from the throw-in line sailed into the back of the net.

Written by